Reflection for Editorial -Korea's Proofreading Woes
After reading this article, I was pleased and I appreciate his point of view and his efforts with affections towards Korea. If Korean advertisers, those who make tiles and news feeds, see his article, they would become aware how carefully they should examine their work in terms of accurate grammar.
This is especially true if it will be published as a paper, slogan, or signage in public. He mentioned there are unreadable news feeds on the websites of major government institutes and well-regarded universities. It means we use a lot inaccurate English expressions unconsciously as if they are standard expressions. It can make big problems for websites such as the government’s which should be more accurate as it reflects the dignity and values of society. If a site which is run by the government makes awkward expressions, it might give bad influences to the general people without meaning to.
If the target audiences of this site are foreigners who are interested in our country, we can also give bad impressions about our country.
The last part of his article was the most interesting to me. He posed the question to native English speakers who work as English educators in Korea, how much should they help and approach the problem as English educators who have a responsibility for using accurate English grammar.
Some errors that are absolutely incorrect are obvious for a viewer who has accurate grammar knowledge, but often we don’t recognize it as an error as one who uses English as a second language. The writer pointed out certain sentences which were written as awkward interpretations in museums that rely on English dictionaries. In Korea, the expressions of the dictionary are regarded as the standard and accurate ones.
Anyway, I, as educator who is interested in the English field, would like to hold his effort in high regard.
댓글 1개:
Wow ! It is very interesting that you & I are totally different tpoint of view. I read this article very critically, And I disgree with this article.
Any way... Let's talk about more in the classroom
댓글 쓰기